Water Safety Instructor
16 yrs+ | Learn to teach children and adults to swim, and give water safety presentations to kids and their parents. It’s a fun and meaningful job that’s in high demand. Plus, Red Cross certification is recognized nationwide so you can work anywhere in the United States. You must attend all classes for certification.
Stay tuned for upcoming trainings!
15 yrs+ | This is an American Red Cross Lifeguard certification Blended Learning class which includes CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer and First Aid. You will need to click the online registration link to sign up for the online portion of the class. Once you have completed each section of the online class you will bring a completion certificate for your instructor.
- Must be 15 years of age or older by the end of class
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes
- Complete timed event within 1 minute 40 seconds
- Swim 20 yards, goggles are NOT allowed
- Dive down retrieve object and return to initial starting location without your head submerging under water or letting your hands off of the object
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps
Sundays from 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
and Wednesdays from 5-9 p.m.
This class is for current lifeguards that need to be Recertified. It is a 1 day event, and will require all online work to be completed prior to the class date.
March 4 from 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Lifeguard Instructor Certification
17 yrs+ | Train instructor candidates to teach Lifeguard Training including: First Aid, CPR for the Professional Rescuer, Lifeguard Management, AED Essentials, Oxygen Administration for the Professional Rescuer, Preventing Disease Transmission, Community Water Safety and Basic Water Rescue. The training prepares instructor candidates by developing their understanding of how to use the course materials and methods, how to conduct training sessions and how to evaluate participants' progress.
Prerequisites: Current Lifeguard certification, must be 17 years of age or older.
No current class offerings. Check back soon!
For More Information
For more information on the Aquatics Department at the J contact Hannah Rank, Aquatics Coordinator, at [email protected] or 913-327-8022.